Yes, I know that I have a problem. I tend to take the whole "Be Prepared" motto a little too seriously...especially when packing for a trip. Oh, and I'm married to another pack-aholic.
Packing for China is one of the hardest things I've ever done!
For all of you non-China travelers, let me give you a few facts. Yes, it is an international trip. So you might think I'm being a little crazy. For most international flights, you don't have checked baggage charges and can take two 50 lbs. suitcases per ticketed passenger, not including your carry-on and personal item. HOWEVER, the rules change when you are flying IN China. When you hop on a plane to travel around China, each passenger can only check 44 lbs. They don't care if it is in one bag or two, but it can only equal 44 lbs. (20 kg).
The challenge of traveling on an adoption trip is that you flying into the country with two parents (88 lbs. total), but you need to carry enough stuff for three people. Once you have your child, you get another 44 lbs., but not until AFTER you have met them and are flying with another ticket.
Okay, 44 lbs. may not sound too bad...if you were traveling in the summer!! December or January? First stop Beijing. COLD! Possible snow and ice. Wicked, whipping winds on the Great Wall. Freezing through the Forbidden City. (Trust me. BTDT!) Then we hop on a plane to a more mild winter. High's in the 50's -60's with lows still in the 30's. Meet our daughter. Hang out for a few days. Hopefully get some laundry done. Hop on another plane for Hadassah's first plane ride to Guangzhou to handle the US paperwork to come home. Guangzhou...think Florida...hot...humid...winter high's typically in the 70's to low 80's. NOW pack that 44 lbs.!!!
I remember when we came home, Christopher commented that he could have made the trip with fewer clothes. (Shocking comment from him!) Now that we are getting ready to travel again????
I found my old packing list with ideas of what I wanted to bring. Then I went through all our old China pictures to figure out just what clothes I packed for myself and Keziah.
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I don't think I can do this again!
I told Christopher my totals - 5 pairs of pants, 2 short-sleeved shirts, 4 long-sleeved shirts, and 2 hoodies. He didn't believe me.
I know that we had laundry done twice while we were with Keziah. Plus I washed socks and underwear out in the sink. Christopher is voting to NOT do as much hand washing this time. Older undies may not be coming back from China this time. Socks? I just hate sending all this little stuff out to be washed! ($$ and privacy)
Still...I'm panicking.
How to pack everything you might need for two weeks - clothing, medicine, toiletries, etc.? Then also take all the necessary electronics, gifts for the officials involved in the adoption process, and all the toys and treasures we'll need to make it through those two weeks with our daughter as we get to know each other.
Losing it!!!
9 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment