Sunday, November 7, 2010

Orphan Sunday Choices

Our church is not doing anything to recognize Orphan Sunday because they have another big production that will be performed this week.  However, we have chosen this Sunday morning to share with our Children's Worship kids about our adoption of Hadassah Peiwu. 

We haven't made the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT to the kids before now because the waiting time is sooooooo long.  It would be especially hard for some of our kiddos to have understood why we were talking about our daughter for months and months, but she never came home.

It's been hard to make choices about what to share and what to say to the kids.  We have also looked at several video segments as possibilities to share with the kids.  Show Hope put together some fantastic pieces!  I wish I could show them all...to the whole church...and not just our church but the WHOLE CHURCH!!!! 

So the next three videos postings were our "rejects" for our kids, but I thought I'd share them with you, my bloggy friends.

Today I was pondering a statisic I had read on one of my cyber friend's blogs.  There are over 140 million orphans in the world.  (I've read reported numbers of 143 to 147 million.)  If only 6% of Christians each adopted just one child...there would be no more orphans. 

WOW!  Six percent sounded like such a small number to me at first.  I thought of various families we have known in different churches I have attended throughout my life who had adopted at least one child.  I could think of three or four families in several churches.  Then my math brain kicked in to action.  In a church of 500 members, 6% would be 30 families adopting.  In a church of 1000, the number of families increases to 60.  Even a smaller congregation of only 100 would still need 6 families to adopt.  Wow!

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  to look after orphans and widows in their distress..."  James 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers