Friday, September 3, 2010

Socks 'n' Such

Rare treat today...shopping...alone!

Though the little boys still had one last half day, Christopher picked them up after school for a father-son McD lunch.  So instead of trying to squeeze my life into the 1 1/2 hour between dropping Josiah off at school #2 and the turning around to pick them both up, I got to enjoy leisurely shopping.

This wasn't glamourous shopping for me.  The both the little boys have birthdays in September.  (Can I still call them "the little boys" some day when they tower over me?)  Plus there is always a running list of things we could use or need. 

Today, I had organization on the brain.  So I was also scoping out some new shelves for the "office" area.  If this space is going to remain clean and useable, we need a place for everything and everything in its place.  NO MORE CLUTTER!  Plus I want the whole family to be able to find the extra pencils and notebooks so that they aren't required to have Mom find stuff for them all the time.

Then, there is the simple fact that my kids won't stop growing!!! Miranda's jeans are too short.  Caleb's shoes are worn out.  Keziah's wearing clothes that don't fit any more.  I've got to sort through all her clothes, keep what she can wear, and set aside things for Hadassah.

So I was looking at Target to see if they had girls' tights out for fall yet.  I had already check Walmart earlier.  All they have right now is thin nylong tights. 

Keziah would shred those so fast!  Plus she'd complain the whole time she was wearing them that she was "COLD!"  I need thick cotton tights for that girl.  Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Summer, she wears thick tights.

As I stand there totally disgusted with my retail plight, I noticed all the colorful socks right next to me.  Though, I was momentarily tempted to consider some for Keziah, I thought about it for a moment and discovered a new realization -

Keziah would NEVER wear these socks!

They were all ankle socks and no-show styles!

Her little legs would freeze!

For the entire 1 1/2 years that she has been home, she and I have struggled over socks.  She has always wanted to turn her cute, little girl, cuffed socks into tigh-highs.

I stopped suddenly and laughed to myself at the tranformation that has occurred in my thinking. 

I'm becoming a Chinese Mama!

Not only was I looking for cotton tights and worrying about socks, I had just dressed Keziah this morning for the "cold" day in jeans, a turtleneck, and a zippered fleece jacket.  Highs today in the upper 70's.  Personally, I wore a short-sleeved shirt and was hot at times during my excursion.

I remembered getting to be in the nursery Wednesday night with all the babies.  They were all so cute in their little summery outfits.  The sweetie I was rocking had on a little ladybug dress with bloomers.  The whole time I was snuggling her, all I could think about was how cold her poor little legs must be.  I looked at all the babies in the room and thought about how much they needed to be bundled up in more clothes.  We were in the AC, and it was chilly.  I even whispered to my precious charge that if Keziah had been in the room with me, she would have had a blanket on her in a flash!

I'm not sure at exactly what point it started happening to me.  Maybe it has just been a slow evolution from the very day I met Keziah Huidong.  Whatever it is or whenever it started, I think about how little ones dress so differently now.

BEWARE!!!

I may join the ranks of the little old ladies'
clothing police brigade from China!

(Gonna make a GREAT grandma some day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers