Monday, September 20, 2010

More Than Just a Name

So have you ever wondered where my little girls' names come from?

First of all, this is what I wrote on Keziah's website -

"So here we are...2008...the year of the rat...the year we finish our dossier and continue the journey to meet our second daughter...Keziah.

Job 42:12-15
The LORD blessed the later part of Job’s life more than the first...And he also had seven sons and three daughters. The first daughter he named Jemimah, the second Keziah, and the third Keren-Happuch. Nowhere in all the land were there found women as beautiful as Job’s daughters, and their father granted them an inheritance along with their brothers.

Each of our children has a name that was carefully and thoughtfully selected. Each carries a name with family heritage, and each has a Biblical name of significance. Keziah was Job’s second daughter after his restoration, one of the most beautiful women in all the land. Our Keziah will be our second daughter. She will become a part of our family through adoption...just as we have been adopted into God’s family through Christ’s ministry of reconciliation and restoration. And she is beautiful...uniquely designed by the master Creator.

Psalm 139:13-14
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."

Funny Aside - Only one person has ever heard Keziah's name and instantly recognized where it came from.  Families who have adopted from China may have stopped in Jordan's shop.  He asked for Keziah's new name so he could write it out in Chinese for us.  As soon as we said, "Keziah," he knew it was from the Bible!  He told us he had just been studying about Job that morning in church.  Yep!  I had to go all the way to China to find someone who knew about the Biblical Keziah.

This is the story I wrote on Hadassah's website -

"Esther 2:7
Mordecai had a cousin named Hadassah, whom he had brought up because she had neither father nor mother. This girl, who was also known as Esther, was lovely in form and features....

Each of our children’s names has been carefully and thoughtfully selected. Each carries a name with family heritage, and each has a Biblical name of significance. Hadassah was Esther’s Hebrew name. Hadassah was an orphan, adopted by Mordecai, living in a foreign land, beautiful, royalty.

Esther 4:14 b (Mordecai to Esther)
"And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

As we welcome our precious little girl Hadassah into our family through the miracle of adoption, we believe that God has an incredible plan for her life. Beautiful, a daughter of the King of Kings, born for such a time as this, a life filled with hope and a future."

So what have I never told the cyber world?

On both of the websites, I never mentioned the meaning of the little girl's names.  See for all the kids, part of my naming formula also had to include that I liked not only how the name sounded, but I also had to like it's meaning. 

I always found boys' names easier.  Most had good strong meanings.  Girls' names?  Well, I often found the meanings too fluffy or just plain wishy-washy.

For Keziah and Hadassah, I kind of overlooked the meanings a little because I loved the names and their Biblical characters so much.

Keziah actual means "cassia tree." 

(Waiting for it)

So, you have no idea what a cassia tree is do you?

The cassia tree is a variety of tree or shrub from which cinnamon is produced.

(Waiting again)

Did you have your lightbulb moment yet?

My spicy girl!!!

Totally fits don't you think? 

Keziah is from Chongqing which is a province known for its spicy food and spicy ladies.  My strong-willed little girl is as spicy and sassy as the come.  Just like cinnamon, she can be sweet with sugar, or bring out other flavors like when paired with chocolate.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks in between are all flavored with cinnamon. 

What joy and flavor our Keziah has brought to our life!!!

Now are you ready for Hadassah?

In keeping with a tree theme, Hadassah means "myrtle tree."

(Waiting...)

Yeah, I'm guessing that the thought of me naming my little girl "Myrtle" doesn't have you jumping for joy?

What's really excited about that until I started researching more about the actual myrtle tree.  The myrtle tree is a slow-growing tree with very hard wood.  It flowers almost all summer long with beautiful white, pink, magenta, or purple flowers.  It is often used to make beautiful, decorative bowls.  The tree is very resilient.  When faced with stress and struggles while growing, these are reflected in the growth ring patterns which only add to the beauty of the wood. 

Symbolically, the tree also means "life."  When I had some help translating Hadassah's Chinese name, one possible mean was that the two characters that make up her name "combined convey a symbolic meaning of 'the fullness of life' in that one admires the five elements that make up all life around us'."


Can't wait to finally meet my Hadassah and hold her in my arms!


My two little tree girls - Keziah and Hadassah!  What plans God must have for your precious lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers