Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Paperwork...again!

As I sat at the breakfast table complaining this morning, I promised my daugher, Miranda, that I would blog about it later.

Keeping my promise!

Technically, this is not really adoption related.  More just kids stuff.

I was completing another form for the school district about one of my kids.  This one is not a sign my life and my checkbook away type form, but more of a description of my child.  As I'm working on it, I think they goofed because it reads like someone should be interviewing me and completing the form.  Not me filling it all out. 

Have I mentioned how much I HATE all the paperwork for kids?

So one of the first real questions asks for a description of the child's "current living situation."  Then it gave lovely examples of what you might include in your description "(natural parent, step-parent, etc.)"

Yep!  I totally came unglued.

"Natural parent"

What is that?!?!?

Now Christopher tried to be the voice of reason and explain that we are adoptive parents etc.  But we're not talking about any of our adopted children here. 

"Natural parent" sounds alot like "natural childbirth."  Having given birth to four kids - c-section, with and without drugs - it really never feels "natural."

I filled in the blank saying that this child has lived with the married, birth parents.

Still it bugs me.

I am a PARENT to all my kids - by birth or adoption. 

Most days nothing looks natural around our house, unless you count dust accumulation or the mud tracked in from football cleats. 

Most people already thought I was crazy when we had four kids.  Adopting one and then another didn't change their opinions of me one iota.  Now I'm just confirmed crazy.  I seriously doubt any of these folks would define me ever as a natural parent.

Despite all of that I am the parent of six kids...100% their mama!!!  Hadassah is still in China.  I don't yet have any pieces of paper that say she is my daughter, but she is.  Keziah and all her sibs live under my roof.  They drive me crazy every day.  I drive them in circles, nag about homework and grades, attend concerts, recitals, and games, kiss and bandage boo-boos and broken hearts, cheer for them, cry with them, cook their meals (like it or not), clean their clothes.  I know what size underwear they wear!  I keep a mental list of all vital medical information.  These are my kids!

The one thing that I know is 100% natural is the fact that I love them all to pieces! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers