Ultraman is a HUGELY popular superhero in China. Keziah LOVED it when we were there so we bought a DVD.
However, we later hid it because it was violent superhero action which our little girl just didn't need. We were trying to calm her down, not rev her up.
The funny thing is that Ultraman is a really Japanese show. So when you watch it, the Chinese words are dubbed over the Japanese. But the DVD's we have are done so poorly that you hear both languages all the time. It's not like the Japanese is blocked out so you only hear Chinese.
Doesn't change my superhero girl's love affair with Ultraman one bit.
Wednesday night, I had to endure and superhero argument between Keziah and Elijah. They were both rattling off all the superheroes they could think of and trying to out do one another. Since I was already at the end of my rope that day, I foolishly added Ultraman to their list. Keziah was thrilled, but Elijah had no idea what we were talking about.
Tonight I went searching for the hidden DVD because I wondered if our DVD player would play it. While in China we discovered the wonders of country codes for DVD's. Some of what we purchased for Keziah wouldn't play on our American DVD player.
Well, our wonderful DVD player totally rejected it, but I tried the portable one we had in China. Presto! ULTRAMAN! (on a very small screen)
So I'm watching it with Miranda and Keziah. None of us can understand it. (Sad, I know. Keziah has lost so much of her language.) But we watched the whole thing.
I was so surprised by something as I sat watching the actors. In my mind something clicked. These were NOT Chinese actors. These were Japanese actors. And you know what? They didn't look Chinese to me. I can't even explain it. I can't describe what I saw or didn't see. It was just like, "DUH! Why haven't you ever seen this before?"
Maybe this is horrible to actually type. Maybe it is totally not PC. But since my Chinese daughter also looks at anyone Asisan and assumes they must be Chinese, surely I can't be totally wrong in my struggle to learn to see differences in the different nationalities.
Tonight though...I saw it for the first time! It was my own little moment.
9 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment