One thing that has totally disappeared since Keziah came home has been time for me. Keeping up with five kids and the insanity of all their schedules has erased extra things in my life. I know they all go to school so in theory I should have all that time when they are gone. Right? By the time the last one gets off to school it is almost 9:00 am. Then by 2:30 pm it's time to start the taxi service. So in that 5 1/2 hours I need to cram in all menu planning, shopping, laundry, housework, children's worship planning and preparation, etc. Oh! Forgot that I needed lunch. Plus there are all the doctor and dentist appointments. Throw in the never ending sick days once an epidemic descends on our home and an occasional snow day here or there. Time for me just got bumped out of the days.
I used to be able to squeeze in some time at the YMCA early in the mornings, and I am not a morning person! But if I got up at 5:00 am I could rush off to the pool to work out when they opened at 5:30 am, have an hour to myself, and then dash back home by 7:00am. Christopher started the kids’ morning routines, and then I got to see then all before they left for school in the morning. Then there were early morning, middle school, extra-curricular activities that bumped my time. Then Caleb started high school. His bus comes at 6:20 am! Miranda took over with morning after morning of early mornings at the middle school. In theory, I could go after Keziah leaves for school, but by the time I got there, got home and cleaned up, half the day would be gone.
I also used to fit a day time Tae Kwon Do class into my days. Now, it seems that every week there is something on Tuesdays and Thursdays that fills up that time. Plus all the kids evening functions have made it almost impossible to find a night when I can drag them with me to class.
Are you getting the picture? My health and my weight have been adversely affected. Not to mention my sanity! I loved that alone time in the mornings splashing in the pool. I loved the physical and mental challenge of Tae Kwon Do, and that for one hour I couldn’t even think about what was for dinner. Instead, my focus needed to be on what I was doing at that moment.
Christopher purchased a Christmas gift for himself this year (and probably the next couple of years). A treadmill! Christopher enjoys running but has a hard time fitting it into his schedule. Caleb is our Cross Country athlete and would benefit by squeezing some running into his busy days.
Me? I hate treadmills. Truly hate them. First of all, I hate running. I don’t even really like walking around the neighborhood for exercise. It’s boring. Treadmills are especially boring. Music or TV just doesn’t change the fact that I hate treadmills! I see no sense in aimlessly walking or running on a machine that goes nowhere. Even at the Y, I just can’t bring myself to sit on a stationary bike, use a treadmill or elliptical machine. BORING! So maybe you’re getting the picture that I was not wild about this purchase, even when Christopher tried to entice me with the thought of easy access exercise for my busy life.
Well, here goes accountability! I have started a new plan and established new goals. I want my body on the outside to reflect the person I feel like on the inside. So, I’ve started walking on the THING each day. Still HATE it! But I know that my daughter in China needs a mama. She needs her mama to come get her. I need to be at a healthy weight before we travel to bring her home. In fact all five of my other kids and my husband need me to be healthy through and through. I need to be a mom and wife for them each day. Plus, there is just plain ME! I need to find time for me. Right now, it’s time to eat right (even on nights when the basketball coordinator messes us the schedule so the whole family has to sit and wait for the opposing team to show up one hour late...pizza night) and make time for exercise. Reading for pleasure, going to lunch with friends, pursuing a hobby…all this may have to wait for a while. For now, my health and paper chasing need to occupy some of that 5 ½ hours of “freedom” I have each day.
Did I mention that between differing school schedules I get to experience two weeks of spring break rotations? Three home one week and two the next. Oh, joy! Still need to make treadmill time fit into that excitement.
So, dear, sweet Hadassah, Mama’s coming! I’m walking my way to you one step and one paper at a time! Love ya!
8 years ago



Have you considered keeping track of the miles you walk on the treadmill? Really neat to share this story with your new daughter some day and tell her the exact number of miles you walked. How many miles from KC to her city in China? Think you could walk that far (figuratively speaking)?
ReplyDelete