Monday, May 10, 2010

Rainy Day and a Monday

So, what does one do on a rainy Monday?

Keziah suggested rolling over and staying asleep this morning when I woke her to get dressed for school today.  The day was too dark for it to be morning.  Unfortunately for all my sweethearts, they all got bundled off to school in spite of the rain.

Me?  What did I do today?  Laundry?  Wash breakfast dishes?  Plan dinner?  Grocery shopping?  Strip bathroom wallpaper?

NOPE! 

In the pouring rain, I left the comforts of my suburban abode and trekked downtown to the Secretary of State's local office to have our collection of dossier documents certified. 

(Are you sensing disater yet?)

First of all, I did some preplanning for this trip.  I had checked and double checked online for everything I would need to know.  I had the address.  I had Google Mapped the location and even scanned the street-level pictures so I knew exactly which building I needed.  I called the office this morning just to check to see if there were restricted days or hours when I needed to have my paperwork processed. 

With my Google Map directions, Post-It note address, and GPS in hand, my SUV and I cautiously drove downtown through the dark clouded day of endless rain.  I paseed the building, driving in circles for a while trying to locate parking that wouldn't require me to walk block after block. 

I parked and then tried to get the digital, automated, parking "attendant" to accept my wet $5 bill as payment.  Wet didn't work.  Finally it accepted a slightly damp $5 bill.

Juggling my purse, briefcase from college graduation that contained the priceless pieces of paper, and a Monet inspired umbrella, I fought the downpour, whipping wind, puddles and traffic as I made my way to my destination.  Clumsily, I unloaded my burden onto a scanner and passed through the metal dector at the security checkpoint as I entered the building.  With confidence, I rode the elevator to the correct floor in search of my destination only to discover that I was in the wrong building.  Thank you, Google Maps!

Back out in the rain, I waded through two more blocks of puddles to the correct building.  Elevator up.  Into the office.  The clerk sorted through my stack of documents while I completed the required form to accompany them.  Then...the uh-oh's started.  Two documents were less than ideal, but passed.  The notaries stamp was placed over some typing that would require more work to certify because the state capital would have to verify their numbers.  But three were flat out rejected!  Wrong!  No way, Jose!  The sweet lady who was helping me pointed out the errors, provided me with samples of correct documents, neatly re-stacked all my paper, and wished me well as she sent me out the door with hopes of a speedy return.

As I rode the elevator back down, the tears stung as they welled up in my eyes. 

How, Lord?  How could this all be wrong?  Why?

Walking through the cool rains back to my car, I determined not to cry.  Rain or no rain, I would not blubber my way through the city streets.  No raccoon eyes for me today. 

My mind raced, developing a new plan of attack for the day. 

First stop, doctor's office.  Let's just say that this document was done so poorly that the sweet clerk I dealt with is reporting her to the state capital's office.  Of course, by the time I arrived at the office, most of the staff had gone to lunch.  When someone was finally able to help me, I explained my problem only to see their faces register a look of either dumbfounded confusion or the look of staring at someone you know is crazy.  When I continued on to ask if I should come back after the lunch hour, I was informed that Monday is the notaries day off.  Okay...see y'all tomorrow.

Now I had just enough time to make it to Keziah's school for the After-Mother's Day Tea.  How could I miss this?  All others stops would just have to wait.  I toured her artwork, her writing, enjoyed a cookie and lemonade, was seranaded with the "Mommy, Mommy" song, enjoyed reading a book with her, and even guess the right "Mystery Mom" drawing because she had given me secret clues.  As our time was wrapping up together, I was preparing to dash away and race to the police station before the Mom Taxi started its afternoon rounds.  Public school rituals again surprised me!  Most moms take their child home with them if they don't have to return to work.  Sweet little pleading Chinese eyes made it very clear that my love for her was at stake if I refused.  With promises that she would help me get my work done on papers for Hadassah, Keziah became my companion and partner in crime.

Zipping by the house to pick up Elijah's forgotten piano music and the portable DVD player to entertain my addition during his lesson, we were quickly back on our way to the police station.  Oh, yeah, the two other documents that needed to be corrected were our criminal backgroud checks.  I loved the thought of telling the police that the Secretary of State rejected their notary, especially with my Chinese kindergartner in tow.  Did I mention that she is afraid of the police?  It's the guns.  Totally afraid of their guns.  I guess that it truly wasn't a bad thing for her to have another good experience at the police station since she was with me for the first visit too.  The receptionist/notary and I spent lots of time discussing and stewing over the forms.  She checked with another woman in the office.  Finally she she signed and notarized the attached page provided by the Secretary of State's office.

Back on the road, Keziah and I began the next phase of my day - Taxi Service.  Exhausted I finally arrived home to dishes, laundry, and no idea what we would eat for dinner.

God and I had sorted through all my frustrations with paperwork from the day.  Love it when He helps me see all the praises in my problems! 

Are you confused?  What could I possibly be thankful for and praise Him for today?

Well, while I was wrestling and racing in our paper chase today, Christopher took the envelope I had prepared for him and mailed all our required forms and documents to immigration.  WOO-HOO!  The I-800a is on its way!

Then, I realized just how important today was.  See, I totally rearranged my day because I knew that it would be way later in the week before I would have time to make this trip.  Now, I can have all the corrections completed and still get our documents certified and popped in the mail to the Chinese consulate before Friday.

Ready for the real praises?  Last time, with Keziah's adoption, we used our agencies Dossier Assistance Program to have all this certifying and authenticating completed.  (Actually, they made us use the program because we had taken sooooooo long to complete our dossier.)  If we waited until we had the immigration approval and chose to use the D.A.P. again, these little uh-oh's could have cause a two or three week delay in getting our dossier completed and in China.  Even if I had waited until I had the immigration form completed and ready, it would still have cause a delay. 

Plus, today all my kids were in school.  In just a few weeks, I would have been dragging five cherubs with me through the city streets and into the wrong building only to have faced the rejection of these papers.  That is really scary!!!

For all my struggles and challenges today, this was a nothing.  Barely a blip on the radar.  Okay, it did cost me gas, time, and $5 for parking, but it didn't delay my sweet, baby girl from coming home even one day.

Hadassah Sweetie, your mama loves you!  I would travel to the ends of the earth to bring you home...or at least to downtown today...and I'll bravely board that airplane for another long flight for you.  You are so precious to us!  We love you so much!  I can't wait for the day when we will cuddle and laugh together while I tell you your story of the journey to bring you home.  It's been a wild ride...and we're still just getting started! 

1 comment:

  1. Lara, you exhuasted me just reading your post! I know those kind of days in the paperwork crush, and I feel every drop of rain that dove under that umbrella! So glad you got it done early in the week so you can take care of the fixes before the weekend! God is good!

    ReplyDelete

Followers