I couldn't help myself.
I stopped by a local Christian bookstore to pick-up a few extra items for the treasure chest we keep for children's worship visitors. As I walked through the door, I was immediately greeted by the display of Veggie Tales new items. The new DVD "It's a Meaningful Life"...and...
But I purchased the CD because the wild and crazy side of me NEEDED it! Come on..."La Bamba"..."Walk Like an Egyptian"..."Footloose"..."Gourds Just Wanna Have Fun"..."Don't Worry, Be Happy"...How could I live with out it?
When the boys hopped in the car after school, I continued playing it for them. The LOVED it almost as much as their Mom did. After a song or two they started to ask me to play it for children's worship time on Sunday.
"Uhm...Boys...I only play music for children's worship that has a purpose."
"Yeah, Mom? What about 'David'? Or 'The Lawnmower Song'?"
So the song is really "Dance Just Like David", and I was able to validate the "why" for that song! I tell the kids the biblical history and story behind the song. How David danced before the Lord to rejoice, celebrate, and praise God. Plus I remind them that even though King David took off his royal robes that I expect them to stay fully clothed! ;) Then we dance and have WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!
"The Lawnmower Song"? That was supposed to just be for one week as part of our S.O.S. party to kick-off summer. BUT...it became a HUGE hit with the kids. They begged for it every week, all summer long. Somehow I did manage to find a way to connect it to our spiritual lesson almost every week - obeying parents, ministry to a neighbor, providing a cup of cold water as service to another. I got very creative. I did make it go away once school started. I think the kids can't wait for school to get out now, just so we can do it again.
But "Bob and Larry Sing the 80's"?
The boys jumped right in with mom-type ideas...:"Walk Like an Egyptian" would be perfect for a study about Moses or Joseph.
Then I jumped in to the planning..."Walking on Sunshine" for a deary winter day..."The Power of Love" to talk about God's great love for us..."That's What Friends Are For" on a day when we talk about the personal relationship we have through Jesus..."Don't Worry, Be Happy" as we explore 1 Peter 5:7 and learn more about trusting God...
See it works!
However, I did have to break it to my boys that I am not currently planning a new study or developing a new unit. In fact, I trying to figure out how to take a break. With Hadassah potentially coming home in December, I need to step out for a while to focus on our family and her adjustment.
This is going to be hard. I love working with all "our kids"! We have so much fun every week sharing God's Word and His love with them...and being crazy and silly.
Keep praying for God to reveal His plan for this season. So far, nobody has jumped up and asked to take over the chaos and insanity that we fondly call "Children's Worship".




No comments:
Post a Comment