Sunday, October 10, 2010

No Pom Poms!

Getting ready for church this morning, Keziah was in another one of her silly moods.  (They last all day and can be very draining!)  I had dropped a piece of paper under the kitchen table and asked her if she'd pick it up for me.

When she reappeared, she had totally forgotten about my paper.  She had found the pom poms she had taken to the homecoming football game last week.  (Don't even ask why pom poms are under the kitchen table more that a week later!)

All dressed in her school picture dress complete with the headband bow she proceeded to chant, "Go, Jaguars, go!  Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, JAGUARS!"  (Her own personally created cheer.)

As soon as the words, "No pom poms at church," left my lips, my brain started to whirl.

Why not?!?

No, I didn't let her take them, but I did start thinking about two things.

First of all, just how crazy it was for ME to be telling her what NOT to take to church!  I had fortune cookies by the dozens for today's lesson about Solomon writing the book of Proverbs (trust me, I made the biblical connection).  I've packed up a stick horse and cowboy boots, a kiddie pool and water guns, swimming pool noodles, various swords (usually wooden or plastic), raw meat, and an extensive list of other odd things all to use for children's worship. 

I have convinced children that chocolate and marshmallows are connected to the story of Martha and Mary with Jesus - because the most important thing is to learn S"MORE about Jesus.  I also have them trained to believe that when I put two plastic plates under their chairs that these do not indicate snack time but are our "worship tools" for praising God. 

I just had a friend send me and email over the weekend because she saw an ad for "Bob and Larry Sing the 80's" and thought of me.  Today during our worship time, I read Proverbs 15:17 to the kids - "Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred." - and shared with them what it reminded me of as I showed a short clip from the Veggie Tales video "Madame Blueberry." (hint - Annies' birthday celebration with the piece of apple pie). 

These are not normal, church-ish, grown-up kinds of behaviors. 

Secondly, I decided that pom poms might just be a good idea at church!  I'm thinking that God might just be pretty happy if the church body showed up some Sunday morning to shout and scream and cheer for our G-O-D, go God!

Still didn't let her take them.

But you never know...wonder what lessons are coming up soon that might just need some pom poms?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers