Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Silly Eyes

I had a photo pulled up on my computer tonight of a little one in China needing a home.  (Well, really it is THE ONE.)  Keziah wanted to see the picture, and before I knew it both of my girls were crowded around my computer screen while I flipped through kids that I pray for. 

I pulled up the photo of one little one with a limb difference that shocked both girls a little.  Miranda became heart broken for her.  Keziah didn't like looking at her picture.  Six and one half years in China have left us with some big mountains of prejudices to overcome. 

Still I kept pulling up other photos.  I intentionally selected the next child as one with strabismus.  Keziah's face scrunched up as she declared, "Scary eyes!  Yucky!"

Maybe you don't know Keziah's story?

Keziah was a waiting child not only because of her senior citizen age (6 years old) but also because she had strabismus - crossed eyes.  After coming home, she underwent two eye surgeries and wore glasses briefly in between.  Now she has wonderful binocular vision!  We visit her eye doctor every six months for her regular check-ups, and trust me that she has not forgotten that he is the man who made her eyes hurt!

She's asked occassionally why her eyes were hurt.  We've tried to explain that she had "silly eyes" that moved in funny ways.  The surgery helped her eyes work together better so she can see better.

This answer doesn't always make her happy.  She has pronounced more than once that she wishes she had her silly eyes back.  (Slice my heart in two!!)

After her reaction to the first little one, I pulled up more kiddos with eye issues.  She kept talking about the "scary eyes." 

So we talked about her eyes.  She didn't remember what she looked like so we sat looking back at photos from China.  Even now she is still looking at more pictures with her Daddy and Miranda. 

She needed to see her silly eyes tonight.  She also needed to know that her eyes were not scary, especially to us.

Just a few minutes ago, she looked up at me and asked, "Why you bring me home?"

"Because you are my daughter." - me

"I no you daughter!  I Chinese!" - Keziah

"Nope!  I have papers that say you are mine!" - Dad

"Why you love me?" - Keziah

"Because you are my daughter!" - me

Want to try to understand God's love for you? 

Try to explain adoptive love to a seven-year-old. 

I JUST LOVE YOU!  YOU ARE MINE!  I'd travel to the ends of the earth (even fly on a plane) for you!  It defies all reason, logic, and genetics, but you are a part of my family!

None of our silliness or scariness frightens God away.  He just loves us.  He wants us to be part of His family.  He came to earth and died on a cross to bring us home.

Just that simple.

2 comments:

  1. It is just that simple, and yet its simplicity is what makes it so hard to grasp! I pray Keziah will continue to grow in her understanding of grace, and by learning how much you love her just because she's your daughter, she'll gain a deep understanding of her Heavenly Father's love for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Lara ... that is exactly God's heart for us! Praying for your family and this little one, God can work out the details big and small.

    ReplyDelete

Followers