Monday, March 24, 2014

Sunday, March 23rd

Almost caught up…

I've been waiting and hoping that our church would post the audio from today's sermon soon, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll post that link later, but for now you'll just get some of my ponderings…
THE HOPE OF THE WORLD series
Disciples Who Make Disciples
* Opening scripture passage - The Great Commission - Matthew 28:18-20
It's kinda hard to ignore the whole "Therefore GO" and the "all nations" part when your heart is preparing to travel to China in 109 days.
* Challenging questions - Are you a disciple maker? What are the names and faces that come to mind of those whose lives, through the power of the Holy Spirit, you have been a part of changing their lives?
* A couple of the determents to becoming a disciple maker -
1. Complacency
2. Fear
Punch in the gut moment! Do I prefer the comfort and security more than stepping out and into God's will for my life? How long is my list of fears and self doubts that stand in my way! Uhm…especially when Matt. 28:18 starts off with Jesus declaring that "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me." Then he wraps up Matt 28:20 with "I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Yep, I think that pretty much covers all my fears.
* Then the focus passage shifted to Acts 8:26-31 - Short summary: An angel instructs Philip to go to a desert road where he meets up with a high ranking Ethiopian official to whom Philip shares the good news and baptizes him.
* Philip's schedule, his plans, were totally interrupted by an angel! Do you have any idea what my calendar looks like? I'm stressing because I'm trying to figure out how I might squeeze in a doctor's appointment for a kiddo tomorrow! Don't even get me started about the stress when I think about leaving my family for f10 days in China!!!
* Philip obeyed. Timing was critical! He had to be in the right place at the right time. Is God speaking to you? What is He asking you to do? Will you or I obey? I mean really do what He asks, even when it doesn't make any sense! Philip just went. No idea what was next or where he was going.
* The Ethiopian man was returning from worship and was reading Isaiah. God was already at work in his heart and life! Philip just needed to show up and do what God asked. God's got it all in control!!! He is preparing you for just what He wants you to do.
* Want the hear the really amazing part of Sunday morning? Miranda shared with me that the Student Ministry worship time took apart James 1:27. I think God had some really messages for Miranda and I today...


MP3 Sermon Link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers