Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hotel de la Hospital

Well...the patient earned himself one more night at the glamorous, all-inclusive Hotel de la Hospital!

Though the surgery went well, Christopher is struggling in these early stages of his recovery.  His body just isn't bouncing back as quickly as he would have liked.  Lots of pain and discomfort! 

Plus its been a chicken vs. egg question about some of his medications.  He can't take anything orally until he can keep at least liquids down.  But some pain meds can make you nauseous, especially on an empty stomach.  But he can't even sit up to eat delicous broth if he doesn't have some relief from the pain.  More meds to help with the nauseua.  And whenever he worked with his little breathing contraption-thingy, he got sick again.  But his lungs need to get back to a healthy, clean state or he could develop pneumonia, again.

I can't laugh too hard while I'm at the hospital, but I do make his stories of misery very humorous for the kids at home.  :)

(Honey, have I told you just how much I love you?)

Let's see...they also wanted him to get up and walk, at least three times.  They did get him up once this morning!  Two nurses, one on either side, while he shuffled to the window and back to a chair.  He made it for about 15 minutes after they got him totally settled in his chair.  Then he was ready to go back to his bed and stay there.  After I left him this afternoon so start retrieving our kiddos, he did manage to take a stroll in the hallway, but he is not reporting breaking any land-speed records at the hospital.

As much as I thought I wanted him home after one night, I really hoped they were going to keep him again tonight.  The kids miss him.  I miss him.  But he really needed to get a little bit better before re-entry into Wade World.  Thankfully, the doctor and nurses agreed and so did Christopher.

The latest update is that he is getting much better tonight.  He is now bugging the nurses about how early he gets to come home tomorrow. 

I tried to warn the poor boy about how NOT restful a night in the hospital can be.  The poking and prodding, and checking.  Lights and bells and alarms.  He got to truly experience the wonders of the hospital last night.  Hopefully he will get a little rest tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers