Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter

Thought I'd post some pictures from Easter Sunday.  Christopher took the kids outside for some quick pix while I finished getting ready for church so you won't find me in any of them.  Then we always forget to color the eggs until Easter weekend.

My boys

The Suits


Sisters


The Crew


Busily at work











Leading Children's Worship this year made me even more aware how hard Easter has become for me. Guess that sounds strange? Somehow, even in all the hustle and bustle of Christmas, I able to find the Christ in Christmas. But Easter has really gotten watered down and confused. Chocolate bunnies, eggs, new clothes, hunting eggs, and tons of candy have become the focus. Even the reason for the holiday gets lost. Instead of celebrating Christ’s resurrection, the focus gets muddled in the cross.


Oh please, don’t misunderstand! I know that Easter Sunday would be nothing without the cross on Good Friday! Resurrection couldn’t happen without Jesus’ death. Eternal life can’t happen without the forgiveness of our sin. Jesus’ blood paid our sin debt. Giving His life, He gave us His righteousness.

Even as I worshipped in the early morning service with the grown-ups, my heart hurt. It was Easter Sunday morning! We were singing praises to our risen LORD! But the congregation, all pressed and clean and sparkling in new clothes, was lifeless and sleepy in their empty recitations of words to songs. There was no JOY! No excitement about the wonderful gift of Easter.

I hope everyone had an awesome Easter. Our kids had a fun day.

1 comment:

  1. Our still favorite church in Columbia always does something really special to make Easter...SPECIAL. This year the service ended with a mob dance filmed a couple weeks earlier on the campus of Mizzou. A culmination of what joy could/should look like. They're trying to get the video on YouTube. If they do, I'll let you know. You can listen to the message on iTunes or their website. www.woodcrest.org

    ReplyDelete

Followers