Friday, February 26, 2010

Double Negative

I admit it. I am a grammar geek. I love constructing and deconstructing sentence structure, analyzing word usage, and punctuation. Love it! I actually read the church bulletin every week just so I can proofread it.

***** DISCLAIMER *****
Blogging, journaling, and FaceBook entries are personal, free flowing, random thoughts.
I do NOT use my best grammar on these.

As we considered the referral file of our future daughter, Hadassah, I was struck by a comical reoccurrence. Both Christopher and our pediatrician made the same statement after reading her file,

“I see no reason not to proceed with the adoption.”

See it?

It’s a grammatical and mathematical problem with the statement. Both used “no” and “not” in the same sentence. Mathematical calculation dictates that to negatives create a positive. Grammatical principles are the same. This simple sentence that appears to be stated in the negative becomes a positive statement,

“I see a reason to proceed with the adoption.”

See it now?

There is a reason. Aside from all the possible arguments and logical reasons imaginable as to why we are out of our minds crazy to adopt again, there is a reason.

This precious little girl needs a family. She needs to know that God loves her which she will experience through the love of a family. No matter where she was born, where she lives, how old she is, etc.

The same feeling that existed as we pursued Keziah Huidong’s adoption has returned. I have one more daughter…she is in China…and she needs to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers