Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Glimpse...

So I started writing a little facebook posting, but it just kept going and going and going.  I still posted it as a note, but once I was finished it seemed like it needed to be more of a blog posting. 

I've got some other stuff I still need to post!  Good stuff!  Pix of my big boy going to prom.  Proud mama pix of our current soccer super star.  Plus there is the final "Reality Check" post that I keep working on.  Sticky note of dates right here by my computer to help me.

But this is where I am today....

*****

Sorry FB World, but I need a good whine today. My Elijah-boy is off on a three day field trip with his class to Branson. Hubby had to leave early this morning for a long day's road trip of appointments. I got to enjoy getting two Chinese princesses up, dressed, and fed so I could drive Keziah to school after the older three were already gone. Hadassah ate and ate and ate her breakfast while Keziah finished getting ready. We finally left for the round trip drop off.

Once we got home, we had less than half an hour before Hadassah needed to leave for school. Potty break and the poor girl was hungry again. Second breakfast - banana. Off again.
 
Now I was fasting so I could let the doctor's office run a blood test. Wisely, I planned it while Hadassah was at school! I just didn't want to try to explain that one, entertain her with one arm, and keep her curiosity at bay while the nurse stuck me.
 
Pick up the little girl 1 1/2 hourS later. Now let the wailing, whining, crying, and screaming begin...
 
H - "Ma, I hungrwy. I want to eat McDonalds."
Me - "No, Hadassah, we are not going to McDonalds today."
H - "Why not?"
Me - "Because we are not eating McDonald's today."
 
Now, just repeat this about twenty times while I drive to the high school to take Caleb his electric shaver. The big boy has to go to work right after school today, forgot to shave, and still has to meet the grooming, clean-shaven standard.
 
H - "We gowing home?"
Me - "No, we need to go to the grocery store."
H - "I hungrwy."
Me - "We'll go home to eat right after we go to the grocery store."
 
Repeat over and over.
 
So I really had a short list. Well, relatively short for our family. But ALL shopping has become just about impossible since Hadassah came home. Now you need to imagine LOTS of whining and crying throughout the entire store. Real crying. Why? "I cold!" Whenever we pass any refrigerator or freezer section of the store, from produce to dairy, we must cry about being cold. Plus once you start the wailing, why not cry on every isle? Thanks to the one mom who gave me that "Glad it's you and not me today" smile everytime she saw me. And to the perfect mom of two perfect children who sneared at me everytime we passed...your day is coming!
 
Out to the car and quickly load up the groceries!
 
Now that we are in the car, all the rest was just the warm-up. Ear-piercing screaming! "EAT!!!! I HUNGRWY!!!" mix in with the general wailing. It has been less than three hours since she finished that banana. I have offered a Dum Dum lollipop and a "for emergencies only" granola bar. Both were rejected. Today, I'm just tired of all the yelling, screaming, and crying. Today, I have decided that the car will not move until the crying stops.
 
So...I wait...and wait...and wait. While she cries, I'm trying to figure out my next move. Ten o'clock last night was a long time ago so now I'm hungry. I will puke if I have to watch that child eat another McNugget. But we both need fodd fast once we get home? I decide that I will reward myself, not the screaming child, and stop by Subway once we finally get to move the car.
 
Finally...silence. I begin to back out of my parking space. Whimpering from the backseat , "I hungrwy." She's not really crying and not yelling at me anymore, but she just keeps the demand repeating every couple of minutes...just in case I haven't heard.
 
Subway! Pull in the parking lot, only to hear, "I need to potty." I've been waiting almost four months to hear those words! Yay! She just asked to go potty...but we are sitting in the car outside a fast food restaurant! Quickly grab the girl out of the car, and remember to grab the diaper bag disguised as an attractive purse, while dashing into the busy lunch hour rush. Sooooooo glad I remembered that extra bag! Not too bad, but no we did not achieve success today.
 
Order lunch. Off to the car. "I no want to go home!" At least I have food to bribe her home with. But I parked the car near a puddle, so she doesn't want to get in because she might get her pretty new pink sparkly shoes wet. Whisk the princess up and into her seat...as I manage to plant my sandaled foot firmly in the puddle.
 
Once the car is parked and groceries unloaded (with appropriate whining because she wants to help but I only let her carry one, lightweight bag at a time) we were both so relieved to finally sit down to eat our sandwiches. Total bummer though, since I didn't notice that the sandwich preparer forgot to toast my sandwich while I was busy watching one little girl. Really ruined the personal reward for maintaining partial sanity through the fun-filled morning.
 
So why did I even write all this?
 
I guess I just needed to feel less alone today. Four months since I met my beautiful little amazing daughter. Love her to pieces, but life is really challenging right now. I still haven't discovered how to accomplish daily tasks like grocery shoppping without a showdown and/or multiple meltdowns. The rest of the family feels neglected and deprived. We have actually run out of bread and milk these last few months. The mama who usually runs this house never lets that happen. I'm so exhausted...every day. Little things have become huge.
 
I'm done now. Back to laundry, dishes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers