When I first became a Christian and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior I had one understanding of God’s Love. My prospective was that of an unmarried man with no children. I knew God Loved me and sent his son to die on the cross for me, but I had no life experiences to really help me understand what that meant.
When I got married I had a better understanding of God’s Love as I loved my wife. Much like Christ who loved us so much that he gave his life for us; I have an unconditional love for my wife and would give my life to save hers. I don’t know that I could do that for just anyone. But I know that I would do that for my wife.
When my first and only son (at the time) was born, I had a much deeper understanding of how much God must truly love us. He sent his one and only son to die on the cross a bunch of self centered disobedient people (like me). I could never sacrifice any of my children for even my best of friends let-a-lone a stranger. I can’t imagine the pain God felt as he saw his Son being beaten and hung on a cross to die. God’s Love for me is so strong that he could endure the pain of watching his child suffer. If you are a parent you understand that pain every time your child gets hurt.
But when I adopt my daughters into my family, they are chosen by me. I chose to love them. Not because of anything they have done, but because they are now part of my family and my love for them is so strong that I would chose to die for them.
One of the great mysteries to me had always been, why would God send his son to die for me when I had not done anything to deserve it. I was no one special. I had not done any great thing. Why would he endure the pain of watching His son die for me? He did it for no other reason than He loves me and wanted me to be a part of his family.
I’m not saying that everyone should adopt a child, but I will tell you that for some of us it might take doing just that to truly understand the Love of God and how we don’t have to do anything for him to love us. All we have to do is accept him as our Father and be loved by him.
That is my prayer for Hadassah Peiwu this morning. That she will accept me as her father and let me love her for no other reason than she was chosen by me…
8 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment