True confessions - I'm stubborn and don't like asking for help.
When Keziah came home, I didn't truly know how hard those first few days and weeks were really going to be. Three of us struggling with jet-lag and four other kids needing their parents. Plus all of the family adjustments going on as we struggled to find our new normal. It didn't matter how old my kids were or how old the child we brought home was; we faced the same struggles as if we'd walked through the door with a newborn baby.
Keziah didn't begin to grieve until we were home. Then, like a colicy baby, her worst moments seemed to always hit right around the time I needed to be fixing dinner. I can't even begin to count the number of evenings when Christopher walked through the door to find me holding her while she cried and raged. His first question was always which take-out, delivery, or fast food restaurant was dinner for that night.
During that very difficult time, one dear, sweet friend brought us dinner one night. I think I almost cried with relief that day. I don't remember what she brought. I just remember that it was surely one of the most delicous meals I had ever eaten.
Fast forward now to our return home with Hadassah Peiwu...
Words escape me to truly express how grateful we are to our church family! Saturday night food began to arrive. LOTS of food!!! Huge dinners complete with desserts.
We've had so much food that I've tucked some in the freezer to save for another day. We ate lunch and dinner on Sunday which never happens around here. I have a stack of brownies and cupcakes and cookies, and I'm begging my kids to eat more sweets for snacks. The kids even pouted on Sunday because we didn't have our usual pizza night. On the flip side, they've also been praising certain items people have brought making me feel totally inadequate as a cook. Now I have to track down where some tortilla chips came from because I have certain children swearing that they were the best food they've ever eaten (so much for the usual Baked Lay's Tortilla Chips).
We also received another treasure when we arrived home - Our Children's Worship kids had made cards to welcome Hadassah Peiwu home.
I wish I could share each and every card with you. They are so precious. Warmed my heart as I read each one and saw in my mind the face of the child who had written it for us.
So...do you want to know what adoption ministry looks like?
This is it!
Do you want to know how to treat an adoptive family, no matter what age child they welcome into their home?
Just like any family that brings a new child home.
Okay, there are women out there who are far better than I! They can birth babies or adopt children and never miss a beat. Their homes are spotless, laundry done, dishes washed, and home-cooked meals are on the table every night. But I think there are more me's out there than super-women.
Yes, all my kids are older. But again I've come home with jet-lag, five kids with busy, active schedules, and a new baby, who acts like a toddler, needs constant supervision, and is seven years old. I've struggled with a pile of laundry from China added to normal daily washing. We've got more dirty dishes and need to find foods our "new baby" will eat. My days have been filled with phone calls, doctors, dentists, and various other appointments. I'm negotiating with the H.R. department, insurance company, school district, and the pharmacy. My brain is still in a fog so I'm not back to my usual self which makes managing the Wade World calendar and schedules more difficult than usual.
Also know that life is GOOD and God is GOOD as always!
I've got tons more to write about all that!
This is my "THANK YOU!!!" blog - for every potato peeled and crayon stroke. Thank you to the people who have helped us feel welcomed home, who have celebrated with us our precious new addition.
Gotta stop before I find myself crying.
Thanks...for everything!
9 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment